Contract type : Public service fixed-term contract
Renewable contract : Oui
Level of qualifications required : Graduate degree or equivalent
Fonction : Temporary scientific engineer
Level of experience : Recently graduated
Inria, the French National Institute for computer science and applied mathematics, promotes “scientific excellence for technology transfer and society”. Graduates from the world’s top universities, Inria's 2,700 employees rise to the challenges of digital sciences. With its open, agile model, Inria is able to explore original approaches with its partners in industry and academia and provide an efficient response to the multidisciplinary and application challenges of the digital transformation. Inria is the source of many innovations that add value and create jobs.
About the research centre or Inria department
Le centre de recherche Inria Rennes-Bretagne Atlantique est l’un des huit centres de recherche Inria regroupant 620 personnes dont 400 scientifiques, réparties dans 33 équipes de recherches et 8 services d’appui et soutien à la recherche.
To this end, the committee follows a strict process to evaluate proposals to extend the language. In particular, the last step of the standardization process requires that the feature be implemented in two major shipping browsers. As the implementations of browsers are complex, since they aim for high performance, it is difficult to experiment with variations of the feature during the development process.
Inria has been part of TC39 for 3 years, and we have witnessed a growing interest for tools to help the standardization process. We have thus developped a tool, JSExplain, to this end.
Our tool includes the following.
- An implementation of ECMAscript 5.1, written in a sub-language of OCaml and very close to the specification. The 5.1 version of the standard was shorter (200 pages), and our implementation covers the whole language with the exception of some libraries (dates, URI, regular expressions…). It consists of 10 000 lines of OCaml.
- An instrumentation of the compilation generating traces during the execution of the program and a web-based visualizer of such traces. This enables a step-by-step interactive execution that shows both the state of the interpreted program and the state of the interpreter. A demo is available online (https://jscert.github.io/jsexplain/branch/master/driver.html).
This position's assignment is to extend and improve JSExplain to make it essential to the standardization process.
Our mid-term goal is the endorsement by TC39 either of this implementation as a reference interpreter, or of a similar version in a well specified language compiled to a reference interpreter. The well-specified language could for instance be an extension of ECMArkup, which is currently used to describe the algorithmes of the specification. In either case, we want to be able to easily follow the evolutions of the specification. In the long term, we want to provide tools to enable the committee to update the reference interpreter by itself.
The recruited person will participate to some TC39 meetings. Travel expenses will be reimbursed up to the regulatory limits.
- Study of the specification and extension of its implementation in OCaml to cover the whole standard
- Improvement of the interactive visualization tool, in particular by adding links to the online specification
- Involvement in the standardization process and presentation of the tool the the standardization committee
- Functional programming in OCaml
- Writing reports and presenting results
- Subsidised catering service
- Partially-reimbursed public transport
- Social security
- Paid leave
- Flexible working hours
- Sports facilities
A partir de 2 562€ brut mensuel
- Theme/Domain :
Architecture, Languages and Compilation
Software engineering (BAP E)
- Town/city : Rennes
- Inria Center : CRI Rennes - Bretagne Atlantique
- Starting date : 9/1/18
- Duration of contract : 12 months
- Deadline to apply : 2/12/18
The keys to success
experienced in OCaml
organization skills, autonomy, rigor
enjoys working in team
interested in web programming and standardization
Conditions for application
Pour plus d'informations, contacter :
Defence Security :
This position is likely to be situated in a restricted area (ZRR), as defined in Decree No. 2011-1425 relating to the protection of national scientific and technical potential (PPST).Authorisation to enter an area is granted by the director of the unit, following a favourable Ministerial decision, as defined in the decree of 3 July 2012 relating to the PPST. An unfavourable Ministerial decision in respect of a position situated in a ZRR would result in the cancellation of the appointment.
Recruitment Policy :
As part of its diversity policy, all Inria positions are accessible to people with disabilities.
Warning : you must enter your e-mail address in order to save your application to Inria. Applications must be submitted online on the Inria website. Processing of applications sent from other channels is not guaranteed.