Contract type : Public service fixed-term contract
Level of qualifications required : PhD or equivalent
Other valued qualifications : PhD degree in applied mathematics or computer science
Fonction : Post-Doctoral Research Visit
About the research centre or Inria department
Inria, the French National Institute for computer science and applied mathematics, promotes “scientific excellence for technology transfer and society”. Graduates from the world’s top universities, Inria's 2,700 employees rise to the challenges of digital sciences. With its open, agile model, Inria is able to explore original approaches with its partners in industry and academia and provide an efficient response to the multidisciplinary and application challenges of the digital transformation. Inria is the source of many innovations that add value and create jobs.
Hycomes has been created as a new team of the Rennes – Bretagne Atlantique Inria research center in July 2013. The team builds upon the most promising results of the former S4 team-project and of the Synchronics large scale initiative. Two topics in embedded system design are covered:
- Hybrid systems modelling, with applications to multi-physics embedded systems design;
- Contract-based design and interface theories, with applications to requirements engineering.
The objective of the postdoctoral position is to investigate compile-time and run-time techniques for the distributed simulation of large cyber-physical systems. This includes Structural Analysis algorithms for partitioning large Modelica models into networks of FMI components that can be efficiently simulated on a distributed computing architecture, but also novel numerical schemes such as Quantized State Systems (QSS) methods and code-generation techniques for these methods.
The postdoctoral researcher is expected to contribute methods, algorithms and software prototypes on one or several of the following topics:
- Compile-time analysis methods (structural, causality and sensitivity analyses, discrete-/continuous-dynamics typing, static scheduling of computations) for hybrid Modelica models ;
- Discretization schemes amenable to large scale distributed simulation, such as Quantized State Systems (QSS) methods ;
- Distributed simulation protocols for networks hybrid systems, based on the FMI standard.
He will work in close collaboration with researchers in Safran and Inria, to evaluate his contributions on case-studies in aeronautics.
Technical skills: The postdoctoral researcher is expected to have excellent skills in one or several of the following topics: numerical analysis, programming language design, compilation, high performance / distributed computing. Experience in the Modelica language is not required.
Languages: Excellent scientific writing and oral presentation skills in English. Knowledge of the French language is not required.
Relational skills: Excellent team work skills
Other valued appreciated: Experience in the development of research software prototypes, using modern software engineering methods and tools.
- Subsidised catering service
- Partially-reimbursed public transport
- Social security
- Paid leave
- Flexible working hours
- Sports facilities
Monthly gross salary : 2653 euros
- Theme/Domain :
Embedded and Real-time Systems
Scientific computing (BAP E)
- Town/city : Rennes
- Inria Center : CRI Rennes - Bretagne Atlantique
- Starting date : 2019-06-01
- Duration of contract : 1 year, 7 months
- Deadline to apply : 2019-05-31
The keys to success
The postdoctoral researcher is expected to contribute to:
- Publications in conferences and journals on hybrid systems modeling, automatic control and/or applied mathematics;
- Prototype software implementing the main results of the project;
- Case-studies related to aeronautics.
Inria, the French national research institute for the digital sciences, promotes scientific excellence and technology transfer to maximise its impact. It employs 2,400 people. Its 200 agile project teams, generally with academic partners, involve more than 3,000 scientists in meeting the challenges of computer science and mathematics, often at the interface of other disciplines. Inria works with many companies and has assisted in the creation of over 160 startups. It strives to meet the challenges of the digital transformation of science, society and the economy.
Instruction to apply
Please submit online : your resume, cover letter and letters of recommencation.
For further information, please contact :
- Benoit Caillaud (firstname.lastname@example.org) or
- Khalil Ghorbal email@example.com
Defence Security :
This position is likely to be situated in a restricted area (ZRR), as defined in Decree No. 2011-1425 relating to the protection of national scientific and technical potential (PPST).Authorisation to enter an area is granted by the director of the unit, following a favourable Ministerial decision, as defined in the decree of 3 July 2012 relating to the PPST. An unfavourable Ministerial decision in respect of a position situated in a ZRR would result in the cancellation of the appointment.
Recruitment Policy :
As part of its diversity policy, all Inria positions are accessible to people with disabilities.
Warning : you must enter your e-mail address in order to save your application to Inria. Applications must be submitted online on the Inria website. Processing of applications sent from other channels is not guaranteed.