Renewable contract : Oui
Level of qualifications required : Graduate degree or equivalent
Other valued qualifications : PhD
Fonction : Temporary scientific engineer
Level of experience : From 5 to 12 years
About the research centre or Inria department
Inria, the French national research institute for the digital sciences, promotes scientific excellence and technology transfer to maximise its impact.
It employs 2,400 people. Its 200 agile project teams, generally with academic partners, involve more than 3,000 scientists in meeting the challenges of computer science and mathematics, often at the interface of other disciplines.
Inria works with many companies and has assisted in the creation of over 160 startups.
It strives to meet the challenges of the digital transformation of science, society and the economy.
The Rainbow team is a joint Inria/IRISA Project-Team in partnership with CNRS, Université de Rennes 1, and Insa of Rennes.
The long-term vision of the Rainbow team is to develop the next generation of sensor-based robots able to navigate and/or interact in complex unstructured environments together with human users.
This Project Manager Position is framed under the EU H2020 ICT 25 CROWDBOT project. CROWDBOT aims to enable robots to navigate in a dense crowd: to develop the capabilities on board the robot to perceive and analyze a moving crowd, as well as the robots' reasoning and decision-making skills to enable them to control their navigation in this very complex environment.
Safety and ethical issues are at the heart of the CROWDBOT project. Thus the project also explores the means of testing, validating and evaluating robotic navigation techniques adapted to crowds.
The project consortium brings together 7 international partners, academic or industrial, from different countries, such as ETHZ and EPFL in Switzerland, UCL in the United Kingdom, RWTH in Germany, SoftBank Robotics in France. The project is coordinated and managed by INRIA in Rennes, France.
The project started on 1 January 2018 and runs until 31 June 2021. CROWDBOT is currently looking for its project manager! This position offers the opportunity to participate in an ambitious and unique research project, in an international context in collaboration with the best partners in Robotics in Europe.
-- ABOUT Inria in RENNES --
The research center Rennes - Bretagne Atlantique, established in 1980, is fully integrated into a rich and powerful regional ecosystem, boosting strong partnerships with the best actors of
research and innovation in Brittany and Pays de Loire. It comprises 3 sites (Rennes, Nantes, Lannion), 730 people, 34 research teams, 6 ERC grant winners, 31 European projects, 9 startups.
This position is available in Rennes, which is the capital of Brittany and the tenth largest city in France, with a metropolitan area of about 720,000 inhabitants. Moreover, with more than 66,000 students, Rennes is also the eighth-largest university campus of France and it has the 2nd highest concentration of digital and ITC firms in France after Paris. Rennes is also known to be one of the most festive and lively cities of France, home of several music and culture festivals. In 2018, the newspaper “L'Express” named Rennes as "the most liveable city in France".
The CROWDBOT project manager is in charge of:
- Orchestrate the technical contributions and deliverables of the project: keep track of the project agenda, deliver contributions in time, keep contact with partners to report on their progress.
- Animate the consortium: organize communication between partners, organize the required meetings, travel on partners' site when required.
- Reporting to the project coordinator: discuss the progress and the development of the project, discuss the required actions and decisions.
- Reporting to the EU commission: organize the yearly reporting to the EU.
- Propose software architecture for orchestrating technical contributions through the consortium
- Write documentation
- Write reports
- Prepare consortium meetings
- Prepare experimental campaigns (2 along the project)
Technical skills and level required :
- Programming (+3y exp)
- Project management (+2y exp)
- Fluent English absolutely required to animate the consortium
Relational skills :
- Excellent relational skills required to animate the consortium
- Subsidised catering service
- Partially-reimbursed public transport
- Social security
- Paid leave
- Sports facilities
Monthly gross salary from 2562 euros according to diploma and experience.
- Theme/Domain :
Robotics and Smart environments
Software engineering (BAP E)
- Town/city : Rennes
- Inria Center : CRI Rennes - Bretagne Atlantique
- Starting date : 2019-09-01
- Duration of contract : 1 year, 10 months
- Deadline to apply : 2019-06-25
The keys to success
- Ms or PhD in software engineering or robotics and/or experience in collaborative software development
- Experience in Robotics
- Excellent project management skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Interest in community building
- Previous participation in collaborative R&D projects is highly appreciated
- Expertise in programming development and software architecture
Inria, the French national research institute for the digital sciences, promotes scientific excellence and technology transfer to maximise its impact. It employs 2,400 people. Its 200 agile project teams, generally with academic partners, involve more than 3,000 scientists in meeting the challenges of computer science and mathematics, often at the interface of other disciplines. Inria works with many companies and has assisted in the creation of over 160 startups. It strives to meet the challenges of the digital transformation of science, society and the economy.
Instruction to apply
Please submit online : your resume, cover letter and letters of recommendation eventually
For more information, please contact Julien Pettré : email@example.com
Defence Security :
This position is likely to be situated in a restricted area (ZRR), as defined in Decree No. 2011-1425 relating to the protection of national scientific and technical potential (PPST).Authorisation to enter an area is granted by the director of the unit, following a favourable Ministerial decision, as defined in the decree of 3 July 2012 relating to the PPST. An unfavourable Ministerial decision in respect of a position situated in a ZRR would result in the cancellation of the appointment.
Recruitment Policy :
As part of its diversity policy, all Inria positions are accessible to people with disabilities.
Warning : you must enter your e-mail address in order to save your application to Inria. Applications must be submitted online on the Inria website. Processing of applications sent from other channels is not guaranteed.