Contract type : Fixed-term contract
Level of qualifications required : PhD or equivalent
Fonction : Post-Doctoral Research Visit
About the research centre or Inria department
The Inria Sophia Antipolis - Méditerranée center counts 34 research teams as well as 8 support departments. The center's staff (about 500 people including 320 Inria employees) is made up of scientists of different nationalities (250 foreigners of 50 nationalities), engineers, technicians and administrative staff. 1/3 of the staff are civil servants, the others are contractual agents. The majority of the center’s research teams are located in Sophia Antipolis and Nice in the Alpes-Maritimes. Four teams are based in Montpellier and two teams are hosted in Bologna in Italy and Athens. The Center is a founding member of Université Côte d'Azur and partner of the I-site MUSE supported by the University of Montpellier.”
This post-doc is in the context of the HyperAgents project (ANR) which aims to enable the deployment of world-wide hybrid communities of people and autonomous agents on the Web. For this purpose, HyperAgents defines a new class of multi-agent systems (MAS) that use hypermedia as a general mechanism for uniform interaction.
This is an international project between France and Switzerland.
The position will be in the the Wimmics team at Inria, Sophia Antipolis for 36 months but in interaction with researchers from several other organizations.
The candidate will work on the definition of an architectural style and of ontological and semantic Web models for hypermedia MAS, their formalization and implementation.
The candidate will contribute to both the ontology-oriented model and the hypermedia-based architecture to support MAS on the Web.
The candidate will also supervise the integration of the results to the prototype targeted in the project.
The candidate will work on the following tasks of the HyperAgents project:
- Ontological modeling of Hypermedia MAS: this task defines a conceptual model and core ontology for representing Hypermedia MAS on the Web. The core ontology will support minimalistic descriptions of agents, interactions, regulations, any other entities in Hypermedia MAS and relations among them. The core ontology will be extended with modules for describing interactions and regulations in other tasks of the project. The conceptual model and core ontology will be refined in each of the main project phases.
- Definition and implementation of interaction mechanisms: this task creates hypermedia-based mechanisms that allow people and autonomous agents to publish, enact, and modify interaction protocols, to manage the life-cycle of interaction protocols, and to discover entities for their interactions (i.e., protocols, people, autonomous agents, any other entities).
- Ontological modeling of regulation: this task extends the core ontology mentioned above with a module for describing: regulations, enactments of regulations (e.g., an instance of a policy applicable in a given context), conformance and accountability to regulations (e.g., a history of violations committed by an agent), and the life cycle of regulations.
- Continuous integration of results: the candidate will participate to the integration of the software components developed to provide the infrastructure and tooling required to create and deploy hybrid communities on the Web
- Standardization and industrial dissemination: The project will produce new inputs for the standardization efforts of related standardization bodies; in particular, the key findings of the project will be submitted in a Member Submission to the W3C to which the candidate will actively contribute. The results of the prototypical deployments will also be disseminated to industry.
Technical skills and level required : thesis in multi-agent systems, distributed knowledge Web systems
Languages : English
Relational skills : Ability to work in an international network of collaborators
Other valued appreciated : Autonomous proactive
- Subsidized meals
- Partial reimbursement of public transport costs
- Leave: 7 weeks of annual leave + 10 extra days off due to RTT (statutory reduction in working hours) + possibility of exceptional leave (sick children, moving home, etc.)
- Possibility of teleworking (after 6 months of employment) and flexible organization of working hours
- Professional equipment available (videoconferencing, loan of computer equipment, etc.)
- Social, cultural and sports events and activities
- Access to vocational training
- Social security coverage
Gross Salary: 2653 € per month
- Theme/Domain : Data and Knowledge Representation and Processing
- Town/city : Sophia Antipolis
- Inria Center : CRI Sophia Antipolis - Méditerranée
- Starting date : 2020-02-01
- Duration of contract : 3 years
- Deadline to apply : 2019-12-15
The keys to success
Essential qualities in order to fulfil this assignment are feeling at ease in an international environment of scientific dynamics and the ability to autonomously conduct research. The candidate must be passionate about innovation, with expertise in multi-agent architectures and Web architectures. A thesis in these fields is a real asset.
Inria, the French national research institute for the digital sciences, promotes scientific excellence and technology transfer to maximise its impact. It employs 2,400 people. Its 200 agile project teams, generally with academic partners, involve more than 3,000 scientists in meeting the challenges of computer science and mathematics, often at the interface of other disciplines. Inria works with many companies and has assisted in the creation of over 160 startups. It strives to meet the challenges of the digital transformation of science, society and the economy.
Instruction to apply
Defence Security :
This position is likely to be situated in a restricted area (ZRR), as defined in Decree No. 2011-1425 relating to the protection of national scientific and technical potential (PPST).Authorisation to enter an area is granted by the director of the unit, following a favourable Ministerial decision, as defined in the decree of 3 July 2012 relating to the PPST. An unfavourable Ministerial decision in respect of a position situated in a ZRR would result in the cancellation of the appointment.
Recruitment Policy :
As part of its diversity policy, all Inria positions are accessible to people with disabilities.
Warning : you must enter your e-mail address in order to save your application to Inria. Applications must be submitted online on the Inria website. Processing of applications sent from other channels is not guaranteed.