Contract type : Fixed-term contract
Level of qualifications required : Graduate degree or equivalent
Other valued qualifications : PhD in computer science
Fonction : Temporary scientific engineer
Level of experience : Up to 3 years
About the research centre or Inria department
The Inria Sophia Antipolis - Méditerranée center counts 34 research teams as well as 8 support departments. The center's staff (about 500 people including 320 Inria employees) is made up of scientists of different nationalities (250 foreigners of 50 nationalities), engineers, technicians and administrative staff. 1/3 of the staff are civil servants, the others are contractual agents. The majority of the center’s research teams are located in Sophia Antipolis and Nice in the Alpes-Maritimes. Four teams are based in Montpellier and two teams are hosted in Bologna in Italy and Athens. The Center is a founding member of Université Côte d'Azur and partner of the I-site MUSE supported by the University of Montpellier
Due to start in Oct. 2020, the project aims to improve access to and interoperability of the resources made available by scientific and technical information services, while offering innovative services meant for documentalists and researchers in a multidisciplinary and open science mindset. It seeks the provisioning of a generic solution leveraging interoperable metadata extracted from documentary resources. In this context, the goals of this project are twofold:
- Allow automatic indexing of documentary resources with thematic and geographic keywords from terminological resources (in the Semantic Web format) suitable for each domain or community;
- Demonstrate the interest of this approach by developing innovative search and visualization services intended for users, capable of exploiting this semantic indexing.
Agritrop, Cirad's open publications archive (http://agritrop.cirad.fr), will serve as a use case and proof of concept throughout the project. The terminology resources will primarily be the Agrovoc thesaurus, Wikidata and GeoNames.
Assignments and Responsibilities:
The recruited person will have a structuring role and a transversal activity. He/she will be in charge of designing and setting up an automated pipeline for the semantic indexing of a large corpus of scientific literature. This pipeline will notably rely on tools from the Science-Miner company (Grobid, entity-fishing). The recruited person will also apply this pipeline to the concrete case of the Agritrop scientific archive that consists of scientific articles but also other types of documents like maps.
The recruited person will take part to the reflection on the terminological resources used in the project, and to the definition and development of tools meant to exploit the semantic index: advanced search interfaces, geographical visualisations, enriched document visualization. These activities will involve the co-supervision of master trainees.
The recruited person will join the Inria center of Sophia Antipolis (France) as a research engineer, and will be working closely with the Wimmics Inria team, as well as remotely with the other partners of the project.
- Study existing tools for the automatic extraction and disambiguation of named entities against a knowledge graph, in particular the tools of Science-Miner
- Design and set up of an automated pipeline for the semantic indexing of scientific archive
- Deploy the pipeline for Agritrop, Cirad's scientific archive
- Engage in a reflection about the terminological resources used in the project
- Write documentation and reports
- Co-supervision of master trainees
- Participate in user training
- Present the work’ progress to partners
- Subsidized meals
- Partial reimbursement of public transport costs
- Leave: 7 weeks of annual leave + 10 extra days off due to RTT (statutory reduction in working hours) + possibility of exceptional leave (sick children, moving home, etc.)
- Possibility of teleworking (after 6 months of employment) and flexible organization of working hours
- Professional equipment available (videoconferencing, loan of computer equipment, etc.)
- Social, cultural and sports events and activities
- Access to vocational training
- Social security coverage
From 2632 euros gross monthly (according to degree and experience)
- Theme/Domain :
Data and Knowledge Representation and Processing
Software engineering (BAP E)
- Town/city : Sophia Antipolis
- Inria Center : CRI Sophia Antipolis - Méditerranée
- Starting date : 2021-01-15
- Duration of contract : 1 year
- Deadline to apply : 2020-11-30
The keys to success
The candidate must hold an engineering or master degree in Computer science with a 2-year experience, or a Ph.D in Computer science.
Furthermore, the candidate will demonstrate aptitudes or matches with most of the following aspects:
- High motivation for working in a dynamic scientific research context
- Autonomy, remote working capabilities with collaborative tools
- Ability to collaborate with others on a common project
- Initiative, aptitude to propose technical solutions within the project goals
- Perfect English oral and writing skills
Inria is the French national research institute dedicated to digital science and technology. It employs 2,600 people. Its 200 agile project teams, generally run jointly with academic partners, include more than 3,500 scientists and engineers working to meet the challenges of digital technology, often at the interface with other disciplines. The Institute also employs numerous talents in over forty different professions. 900 research support staff contribute to the preparation and development of scientific and entrepreneurial projects that have a worldwide impact.
Instruction to apply
Defence Security :
This position is likely to be situated in a restricted area (ZRR), as defined in Decree No. 2011-1425 relating to the protection of national scientific and technical potential (PPST).Authorisation to enter an area is granted by the director of the unit, following a favourable Ministerial decision, as defined in the decree of 3 July 2012 relating to the PPST. An unfavourable Ministerial decision in respect of a position situated in a ZRR would result in the cancellation of the appointment.
Recruitment Policy :
As part of its diversity policy, all Inria positions are accessible to people with disabilities.
Warning : you must enter your e-mail address in order to save your application to Inria. Applications must be submitted online on the Inria website. Processing of applications sent from other channels is not guaranteed.