Contract type : Fixed-term contract
Renewable contract : Oui
Level of qualifications required : PhD or equivalent
Other valued qualifications : Ecole d'ingénieur
Fonction : Post-Doctoral Research Visit
Level of experience : From 3 to 5 years
The objective of this project is to build embodied conversational agents (also known as ECAs, or virtual humans, or chatbots, or multimodal dialogue systems) that have the ability to engage their users in both social and task talk, where the social talk serves to improve task performance. In order to achieve this objective, we model human-human conversation, and integrate the models into ECAs, and then evaluate their performance.
Depending on the candidate's experience, she or he can be hired as postdoc, or as "jeune chercheur", which is a more advanced position.
- The post doc chosen for this project should have a broad range of skills at the intersection of Cognitive Science and Computer Science. These skills should include several of the following:
- The analysis and synthesis of conversational behavior, as the team will be using human behavior as the basis for the implementation of a conversational agent.
- The construction of a corpus of data, as the team will be gathering a corpus of data on the social aspects of human-human conversation within a particular domain, and annotating and analyzing those data.
- Development of computational models from the results of the data analysis as well as based on relevant prior literature, using tools such as structural equation modeling and other tools.
- The implementation of data-driven computational models of social phenomena into a functioning ECA (Embodied Conversational Agent) using machine learning approaches to dialogue systems, such as deep reinforcement learning and LSTM (among others).
- Evaluating research, as the team will evaluate whether the new models improve the performance of the ECA.
The candidate will be able to help decide the domain of the research, as applications of the work can be as varied as virtual personal assistants such as Alexa, Siri, and Google Now and intelligent tutoring systems.
For more information on the project, potential candidates should look at the SARA (Socially-Aware Robot Assistant) website at <http://articulab.hcii.cs.cmu.edu/projects/sara/> and read some of the publications associated with the project, here <http://articulab.hcii.cs.cmu.edu/publications/>
- Design and carry out experiments
- Analyze their results
- Implement modules in working socially-aware dialogue systems
- Write articles
- Present work in conferences
Competences Techniques: Solid competence in deep learning applied to dialogue systems, competence in statistics, avanced competence in programming in language such as Python and C++, and use of tools such as Tensorflow and Pytorch.
Langue: French, English
Competences relationnelles: ability to work in a team, and collaborate with others from different disciplines and backgrounds. Ability to manage other team members.
Compétences additionnelles appreciées: Theoretical background in one or several of the following: cognitive science, linguistics, conversational analysis, sociolinguistics, social cognition, learning science.
- Subsidized meals
- Partial reimbursement of public transport costs
- Leave: 7 weeks of annual leave + 10 extra days off due to RTT (statutory reduction in working hours) + possibility of exceptional leave (sick children, moving home, etc.)
- Possibility of teleworking (after 6 months of employment) and flexible organization of working hours
- Professional equipment available (videoconferencing, loan of computer equipment, etc.)
- Social, cultural and sports events and activities
- Access to vocational training
Salary will be based on experience and will follow the Inria salary scales.
The position is planned for a total of 3 years, but the contract will be signed for renewable periods of one year.
- Theme/Domain :
Language, Speech and Audio
Information system (BAP E)
- Town/city : Paris
- Inria Center : CRI de Paris
- Starting date : 2021-01-01
- Duration of contract : 12 months
- Deadline to apply : 2021-03-31
The keys to success
Passion for interdisciplinary research, at the nexus of AI and Social Sciences, ability to work as part of a team
Inria is the French national research institute dedicated to digital science and technology. It employs 2,600 people. Its 200 agile project teams, generally run jointly with academic partners, include more than 3,500 scientists and engineers working to meet the challenges of digital technology, often at the interface with other disciplines. The Institute also employs numerous talents in over forty different professions. 900 research support staff contribute to the preparation and development of scientific and entrepreneurial projects that have a worldwide impact.
Instruction to apply
Documents nécessaires au dossier du candidat:
- letter of motivation describing the subject of the doctoral thesis, and how the candidate's past experience prepares him/her to work on this topic
- Names and contact information for 2 or 3 people who can write letters of recommendation
(DO NOT attach the letters - we will request the letters)
Defence Security :
This position is likely to be situated in a restricted area (ZRR), as defined in Decree No. 2011-1425 relating to the protection of national scientific and technical potential (PPST).Authorisation to enter an area is granted by the director of the unit, following a favourable Ministerial decision, as defined in the decree of 3 July 2012 relating to the PPST. An unfavourable Ministerial decision in respect of a position situated in a ZRR would result in the cancellation of the appointment.
Recruitment Policy :
As part of its diversity policy, all Inria positions are accessible to people with disabilities.
Warning : you must enter your e-mail address in order to save your application to Inria. Applications must be submitted online on the Inria website. Processing of applications sent from other channels is not guaranteed.