Contract type : Fixed-term contract
Renewable contract : Oui
Level of qualifications required : Graduate degree or equivalent
Other valued qualifications : Engineering degree or PhD
Fonction : Temporary scientific engineer
About the research centre or Inria department
The Inria research centre in Lyon (previously the Lyon branch of the Inria centre in Grenoble) is the 9th Inria research centre, formally created in December 2021. It brings together approximately 270 people (including 110 Inria employees) in 15 research teams and research support services.
Its staff are distributed at this stage on 2 campuses: in Villeurbanne La Doua (Centre / INSA Lyon / UCBL) on the one hand, and Lyon Gerland (ENS de Lyon) on the other. A third site should be opened in the course of 2022. The teams are mainly hosted with our partners. The centre's teams work closely with research and higher education institutions (ENS de Lyon, UCBL, INSA Lyon, etc.), their laboratories, and other research organisations in Lyon (CNRS, INRAE, competitiveness clusters, etc.), but also with Lyon and regional economic players. Many international collaborations are also underway.
The Lyon centre is active in the fields of software, distributed and high-performance computing, embedded systems, quantum computing and privacy in the digital world, but also in digital health and computational biology.
Cloudfuse is a start-up project in maturation/incubation within INRIA Start-Up Studio (https://www.inria.fr/en/inria-startup-studio).
In the Cloud domain, there are many methods to optimize data storage. Cloudfuse's goal is to offer the first analytics query engine that allocates computational resources to the user at query time, similar to fully managed query services (AWS Athena, Big Query), while being Open Source.
We are in the prototype development phase, with several interested prospects. We are looking to strengthen our performance programming skills (columnar databases) by recruiting a research engineer in this area.
You will work with the 2 project leaders, experts in Data and Cloud, for the specification, development and evaluation of prototypes in real operating conditions.
The main objective of this maturation/incubation is to achieve one or more demonstrators capable of convincing potential customers.
This position opens up significant prospects for advancement at the end of the project, either in terms of managerial responsibilities or technical expertise, depending on your profile and aspirations.
- Improved the Buzz code base (https://github.com/cloudfuse-io/buzz-rust) as well as the tools that ensure code quality
- Collaboration with the open source community on the Apache DataFusion project (https://github.com/apache/arrow-datafusion)
- Exploring other solutions in the column-oriented database ecosystem, building prototypes and benchmarks to better position our solutions in the market
- Communicate your technical work in blog posts and events
- Learn how we can bring innovation to market in a technically complex ecosystem
- Have a well-structured knowledge of performance programming, ideally of columnar databases
- Be familiar with low-level languages such as C++ or Rust
- Knowledge of the cloud, and in particular its data solutions, is also something we value highly
- Proven experience with open source contributions would be highly valued
- Be highly self-directed and proactive
- Be willing to take on the difficult challenge of working on innovations that need to be brought to market quickly
- Be open-minded and open to cultural and technical exchange
- You must be fluent in English, and any interest in languages is welcome
Public transport partially reimbursed
Leave: 7 weeks annual leave + 10 days RTT (full time basis) + possibility of exceptional leave (e.g. sick children, moving house)
Possibility of teleworking and working time arrangements
Professional equipment available (videoconferencing, loan of computer equipment, etc.)
Social, cultural and sporting benefits (Inria's social welfare association)
Access to professional training
From €2,562 gross per month before income tax according to diploma and experience.
- Town/city : Villeurbanne
- Inria Center : Centre Inria de Lyon
- Starting date : 2022-06-01
- Duration of contract : 6 months
- Deadline to apply : 2022-07-31
- Inria Team : STIP-LYS (DIR-LYS)
Villessuzanne Arthur / firstname.lastname@example.org
Inria is the French national research institute dedicated to digital science and technology. It employs 2,600 people. Its 200 agile project teams, generally run jointly with academic partners, include more than 3,500 scientists and engineers working to meet the challenges of digital technology, often at the interface with other disciplines. The Institute also employs numerous talents in over forty different professions. 900 research support staff contribute to the preparation and development of scientific and entrepreneurial projects that have a worldwide impact.
Instruction to apply
Defence Security :
This position is likely to be situated in a restricted area (ZRR), as defined in Decree No. 2011-1425 relating to the protection of national scientific and technical potential (PPST).Authorisation to enter an area is granted by the director of the unit, following a favourable Ministerial decision, as defined in the decree of 3 July 2012 relating to the PPST. An unfavourable Ministerial decision in respect of a position situated in a ZRR would result in the cancellation of the appointment.
Recruitment Policy :
As part of its diversity policy, all Inria positions are accessible to people with disabilities.
Warning : you must enter your e-mail address in order to save your application to Inria. Applications must be submitted online on the Inria website. Processing of applications sent from other channels is not guaranteed.